Tuesday, June 06, 2006

He Gave


Verse of the Day
For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16 - NASB)

Probably one of the most familiar verses of Scripture is John 3:16. Even non-Christians, people that don't attend Church, etc., know there is something special about this verse. Rollen Stewart, aka "The Rainbow Man" was known for showing up at everything from sporting events to Charles and Diana's wedding wearing a rainbow colored wig and carrying a sign that simply read: "John 3:16"

We're studying the Gospel of John in our Sunday School class and the past couple of weeks we've been focused on this passage. Two words really speak to me: "He gave." "He" is God--the Creator of the Universe, the Everlasting Father, Almighty God, God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Jehovah, the One True God. He loves ME and from the foundation of the world, He determined to save me. He loved me, He loves me, and He keeps me. His love is personal, so much so that I am called His child (1 John 3:1). One of my favorite verses is Isaiah 40:11 :

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. (NIV)

"He" holds me close to His heart, and because he does, He "gave." Salvation is a gift-- I didn't do anything to earn it. ...it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. (Romans 9:16 - NASB). God gave his Son to be "God with us"; but he also gave His Son to be the sacrifice for our sins. Jesus came to suffer, to die and to bear the wrath of God for MY sin--and because Jesus did that, God "imputes" or credits to my life, the righteous life of Jesus Christ. I am justified ("just as if I had never sinned")

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21 - NASB)

He gave...He gave His best, His Only Begotten Son. Amazing love!

No comments: