Friday, July 04, 2008

Friday Photo and Evangelism

We've been studying through the book of Acts in our Sunday School class this quarter. The central theme/verse of Acts is : ...and you will be my witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Smaria and even to the remotest part of the earth (Acts 1:8b) Jesus spoke these words to the Twelve as a prophecy and a command. The words also apply to us today. As Christians, we are called to be witnesses, i.e. "ambassadors for Christ" (2 Cor 5:20), "salt and light" (Matt 5:13-16) and "the aroma of Christ" (2 Cor 1:15) in a lost and dying world. So how do we do that? Is there more than one way to accomplish our task? to obey Christ's command?

Mention the word evangelism, and many people panic. The image of going door-to-door, handing out gospel tracts immediately conjures up feelings of fear, anxiety, frustration, dread, etc. The idea of walking up to a total stranger and talking to them about their salvation (or lack of it) is usually not at the top of the list of "fun" things to do.

I know some people that LOVE doing door-to-door evangelism; they are very comfortable doing it...and they are good at it. That's great. BUT, that's not the only way we accomplish Jesus' command to "go into all the world (Matt 28:19-20) In fact, I'll just be honest here: I really don't enjoy this method of evangelism. I am one of those people that doesn't appreciate door-to-door salesmen or impromptu visits from strangers. In fact, if you happen to knock on my door and I don't know you, I'm just as likely NOT to answer my door. Sorry. I like my privacy.

I have no problem talking to people about Jesus/sharing the Gospel of His death, burial, and resurrection to pay the price for our sins. I've done the door-to-door thing, but I prefer a more "everyday" approach. As I interact with co-workers, people I meet at the store, etc. I try to show them Jesus Christ in the way I speak to them, treat them with respect or encourage them with a kind word. And, I look for ways to either include in the conversation, or steer it toward, something about my relationship with God. Nothing over-bearing like: "If you don't accept Jesus you're gonna fry like a sausage!" (I actually heard about a guy using this line). I try to let them know that Jesus Christ is real in my life and He can be real in their life, too. Some people respond positively; most don't. I don't press the issue, because I know that everyone isn't going to accept/believe what the Bible or I say. (Matt 7:14) Regardless, the "seed" gets planted. God will take care of the rest.

Friday Photo (a little late)

Self Portrait

No comments: