Saturday, February 03, 2007

God and the Super Bowl

The big story this week is the Super Bowl. I won't watch it--haven't watched a Super Bowl since the Cowboys fired Tom Landry. I'm not anti-football, just not interested.

Apparently, a lot of people will be watching, including lots of churches. I've noticed churches (around town and on the internet) cancelling their evening services and putting on Super Bowl parties. One church was going to show the game on their big screen, until the NFL lawyers heard about their plan and said, "no you're not."

I didn't realize it, but God is interested in the Super Bowl. According to the Feb 1, Oklahoma Baptist Messenger:

Head coaches Tony Dungy of Indianapolis and close friend and fellow Christian Lovie Smith of Chicago gave credit to God following their respective teams' victories in the conference championships Jan 21.

"The Lord set this up in a way that no one would believe it," Dungy said following the Colt's win over New England. "The Lord tested us a lot this year, but He set this up to get all the glory."
If I pray for my favorite team to win the Super Bowl, and they LOSE, does that mean that God didn't answered my prayer? Did God like the other team better?

And speaking of God answering prayers, is it wrong for me to pray for a good parking spot at Wal-Mart?

1 comment: