Saturday, January 26, 2008

Weekend Thoughts

Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them
-Suzanne Curchod Necker (1739-1794)

You're Gonna Need a Bigger Barn
The above quote appeared on my Google Home page today and it made me think of some things that are going on around the office. I mentioned a while back that our company is for sale. The three principles have been around since the early 70's and they are ready to retire. They offered the company to the current shareholders (we are employee owned), but the price was simply more than any of us can/are willing to afford.

So, the process has begun to find a buyer. In the process, figures have been thrown around that frankly are almost unbelieveable. I don't want to devulge too much here, but suffice it to say, there are some people that will pretty much be set for life if this sale goes through...which brings me back to the Necker quote. It's very interesting to watch people that suddenly acquire or THINK they're going to acquire a large sum of money. Even more interesting are the reactions/responses from those that own very little or no stock at all. They're not nearly as excited to sell as the other group. Lots of things are being said that will probably be regretted later. Go figure.

The whole thing reminds me of Jesus' parable in Luke 12:18ff--the rich man and his barns.

You Asked
I post the contents of this blog on another blogging site--I actually started blogging there first and ended up "meeting" some interesting people, so I've continued to maintain both. I'm fascinated by the conversations/relationships that occur in the blogoshere. Several times, visitors to my blog have asked me to pray about situations in their lives. I've never met these people face to face, but we share a common bond in our faith, etc. so I pray. Some have asked what I believe about certain topics and I have done the same. What is baffling is when someone comes to my blog, asks me a question, then gets angry when my answer doesn't agree with what they think? They came to my "house" and THEY ASKED--so I told them what I thought. Now they're mad at me?!

The Bible Says...
Another blog I read was discussing how some Bible verses get taken out of context to prove a point. I've also noticed a similar situation, you know when you question someone's motives, actions, etc. and they shoot back with: "Let him without sin cast the first stone" or "Judge not lest you be judged!" They think they've really come up with a zinger and I won't have a comeback. I usually ask them: "Do you know where those verses are found, what the circumstances where surrounding those statements, or even who said them?" They usually don't.

No comments: