Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day. I never served in the military; the draft had been done away with by the time I turned 18 and I didn't feel compelled to volunteer. There have been many times I wish I had. I love America; she's not a perfect country, but she's mine. I cherish the freedoms we have (for now) and the heritage we have in the this country. I love singing the Star Spangled Banner...REAL LOUD.

One thing I like about Memorial Day is watching the ceremony of laying the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington. We got to see it in person a couple of years ago. It was awesome. This year, however, I don't think I'll watch.

I don't like BO and what he is trying to do/is doing to our country. I don't like the way he has treated our service men and women. In my opinion, he isn't worthy to shine the boots of those valiant men and women who put themselves in harm's way to protect our freedoms and keep the peace around the world. The image of him on the same hollowed ground as those heroic, fallen soldiers is more than I can stomach. I won't watch--I can't. Instead, Dana and I are planning on going to a local cemetery where the local Civil Air Patrol will be reenacting the Changing of the Guard at a replica of the Tomb of the Unknowns.

Thank you to all of our service men and women. You are GREAT AMERICANS!

1 comment:

Jim W said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Keith. I know how you feel about BO. I did watch some of the ceremony (channel surfing)-it was, as usual, very moving. Always sends chills down my back to hear Taps. I served 20+ years and one "ritual" the military always does is a retreat ceremony at the end of the duty day. Everyone is supposed to stop and wait respectfully as the flag is lowered. It's very common to run for cover, race through the gate, anything to beat the wait as the first notes are played. As I think back on those days, I sure regret them. Every chance I get now, when I'm on an installation at closing time, I make sure I stop. Thank God for the freedom do to such things.