Sunday, May 13, 2007

Time Stands Still

When you're away from home on vactaion, etc., do you get the feeling that time stands still? I spent last week at my parents house in Florida. I know, it's tough, but someone has to do it. They live in a little town is in the panhandle, about an hour east of Pensacola, and about 45 minutes north of Destin. The town is pretty small; my mom was raised there and my grandparents were founding members of the church my parents attend. The whole time I was there, it was like -- "when I get back home, I'll just pick up where I left off." Doesn't work that way, does it?

Actually, it was a very busy and tiring week; I went to visit my dad who is very ill and to do some things around the house that my parents are no longer physically able to do. It was a good time of just visiting, reminiscing, etc. And after I got the "yard" (2.5 acres!) mowed and trimmed and pressured washed the entire house, I have to admit, the place looked really good.

I wish I'd had time to do some other things around the house, but I only had a week. One of the things I'd really like to have done was clean out the barn. My dad is a PACKRAT with a capital "P!" He saves anything and everything. Nothing gets thrown away. "I might need that someday" or "I'm saving it for parts." He has FOUR old riding lawnmowers (click the photo on the left for a better view) in that barn, none of which will start; two are the same model--none of them identical in make or model to the current working mower (number five)...but he's "saving them for parts." Right.

Sometimes, I really do wish time could stand still. My dad is very sick; he has cancer and other physical problems on top of that. I wish he had more time, but I don't think he does. Time just keeps on--it never stands still--for anyone. No matter where you are.

No comments: