Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I'm Not Votin' for This

  

What do these three men have in common? Just in case you don't recognize them, they are (left to right): Joseph Smith, Glenn Beck and Mitt Romney and they are, for lack of a better label, "Mormons."

Smith is the "founder" of the Mormon church, aka The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Glenn Beck is a radio talk show host; he also has a "news" show on CNN.
Mitt Romney is one of SEVERAL Republican presidential hopefuls.

Smith claimed to have been given direct revelation from God, via an angel named Moroni. Under Moroni's inspiration, Smith wrote "another testament of Jesus Christ"-The Book of Mormon; he also wrote "The Pearl of Great Price" and "Doctrines and Covenants", all of which are said to be of equal value or importance as the Bible. Mormons also wear special undergarments or "holy underwear" that "remind[s] members of the church that they have chosen to be obedient to the commandments of the Lord." (Source).

I'm sure I'll be accused of being biased or unfair in my assessment, but this whole "mormon thing" sounds kinda silly to me. I think Joseph Smith pulled a fast one. I think Glenn Beck is funny on the radio; I don't like his TV show. Mitt Romney wants to be president, but I just can't bring myself to vote for someone that could fall for something this silly. A radio host is one thing, but President? Naw. I need a President that can't be suckered.

2 comments:

Dylan said...

I agree. I won't/can't vote for Romney because of the religion factor (among other reasons).

But, I can't help but wonder how many non-Christians look at Christian candidates the same way. I'm pretty sure a secular friend of mine from high school sees it that way...

Food for thought.

Baxter said...

Good point, dylan, I went to a forum in a state I was brought up in and they had a "religious" forum which is basically atheist asking "Christians" to prove there is a God. They referred to our beliefs and Christ's teachings as "Fairy Tales".

On the other hand you can't help but hope the Mormon candidate will awake from his spell and say..."watwuzithinkin?" :)