Wednesday, October 18, 2006

#%*@!#?#%*@!#?

Is it just me, or has "cursing" become so widely accepted that no one even notices it anymore? I'm attending a workshop this week on a work related topic. Now, I work in a manufacturing plant and hear cursing/cussing everyday (I don't like it there, either), but it's been very interesting to see that, even in a "lecture style/professional/office" environment, no one thinks twice about letting the expletives fly. I'm not talking just an occasional h*** or d*** here. Attendees, as well as the instructor are dropping the "f-bomb" like it was their home address. God gets mentioned frequently, but not in a prayer or blessing. Gender doesn't seem to matter either--male or female, these folks can cuss with the best of 'em.

I'm not comfortable with that kind of language. I don't use it myself...ever. No one in my home talks that way. There are movies we won't rent or television we don't watch because of the profanity.

I obviously don't fit in with what's "acceptable" these days. Some people seem to really enjoy cussing. Check out this blogger's comments:

I cant (sic) think of anything funnier than a 3 year old cursing. I mean come on, does it really matter if we say Poo Poo or s*** (my edit)? Of course not. Unless of course your (sic) married and your wife tells you it matters...I like to curse. I like to curse because I enjoy how it gets everyone in an uproar. (Editorial Comment: This person should spend less time cussing and more time using the spell/grammar checker. I also was not aware that "poo poo" was supposed to be capitalized.)

Golly gee, Wally! What's this world coming to?!

5 comments:

Charlie Curran said...

Yesterday news reports told of a class where kids were encouraged to yell out every curse word they could come up with.

Also,it was reported that some schools are banning the game "tag, you're it" from the playground.

Sounds about right, don't you think

Excellent Parent said...

You know I used to swear before I was a christian and its amazing now that I have the holy spirit I feel so yucky when I watch a movie or I hear a word that is bad. Its amazing to think I used to talk like that! It is not right, altho I do call my son a turd sometimes! I hope thats ok, Im only being honest! LOL

Pastor Jim said...

I agree with your stance on cussing. The one thing I'm kinda confused on...is it ok to say "shoot" or "dang?" My sister gets upset when her kids say "heck." Is she right. Its not really about what we say, its about what we are thinking.

Keith said...

Jim: I was hoping no one would bring it up, but I've heard people refer to it as "Christian cussing", i.e words like "shoot", "dang", "heck", etc. Here's a link you might find interesting--not saying I'm in complete agreement or disagreement. Of course, we know that "out of the heart, the mouth speaks", so there's your admonition to consider what we're thinking.

Cheatwoods: I must admit that I've also used the same word-- not proud of it and I try to refrain from it. Sometimes, the things I don't want to do, I do and the things I want to do, I don't. (Man, that has a familiar ring to it!!

Charlie: And we wonder why things are crazy at schools?!

Anthony: If we cuss in the woods and no one hears, is it really cussing? 8^)>

Thanks to all for your comments.

Excellent Parent said...

I hope you mean youv also said turd, beucase that is the actual word I have called him, not the sh word, just clarifying! LOL. But I did call him that when he was imerged completely in the toilet so I think it was pretty appropriate!!!!