Thursday, October 05, 2006

A Happy Post

The past couple of posts have been somewhat negative, so I'll try to make this one more positive.

I talked to an old friend yesterday; we hadn't spoken to each other for at least 10 years. He was a minister in a church we both attended. He and his family moved away and I got busy--you know the routine. We just lost touch with each other. But yesterday, I picked up a church periodical (that I normally don't read) and found an obituary for my friend's father who had died last month. I managed to track my friend down and left a message: call me. I didn't know if he would, but he did.

It was good to talk with him--to catch up on each other's lives. He and his wife have divorced and he has recently remarried. His new wife sounds really nice. He sounds very happy--he's been through some rough stuff. In the middle of the conversation he said:

"Guess what...I got saved a while back, too."

"Really?" I said.

"Yeah, I REALLY got saved. I never was the whole time I was in the ministry. I lied to myself, my family, to God. I was never converted." he replied.

"What happened?" I asked, and he proceeded to tell me how he came to Christ.

Incredible. All that time and I never knew some of the stuff he was telling me. I told him how great it was that he had repented of those things and was now living the life that God intended for him. I hung up the phone, and I thanked God for His grace and His mercy. I thanked Him for saving my friend.

2 comments:

Beal said...

Its good to see a happy post. These are rare in the blog world today. Thanks for the encouraging words at my blog. Much needed.

Excellent Parent said...

awsome!!