Friday, November 16, 2007

I'm Not Dead! / Friday Photos

I was thinking about the fact that I turn 50 next year (March), which--for whatever reason--made me think of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
Bring out your dead
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[cough cough...]
[clang]
[...cough cough]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead! Ninepence.
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out...
[rewr!]
...your dead!
[rewr!]
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
CUSTOMER: Here's one.
CART MASTER: Ninepence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
CART MASTER: What?
CUSTOMER: Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
CART MASTER: 'Ere. He says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
CART MASTER: He isn't?
CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.
CART MASTER: Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go on the cart!
CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
CART MASTER: I can't take him.
DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
CUSTOMER: Well, do us a favour.
CART MASTER: I can't.
CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
CART MASTER: No, I've got to go to the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
CUSTOMER: Well, when's your next round?
CART MASTER: Thursday.
DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: [singing] I feel happy. I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
CART MASTER: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

My boys say "you're old," which I'm sure they believe. I remember being a teenager and thinking that 30 and 40-year-olds were ancient. Now, here I sit...I graduated from college 30 years ago, my hair is thin/falling out, my beard is WHITE, my gut is protruding and sagging. Yep. I'm getting older--but I'm not dead yet! I think I've got a few more good years in me.

Speaking of being "old," my wife and I did one of those "old people" things last weekend (maybe that's why I'm thinking about age). We went for a drive along "scenic 412" here in northeastern Oklahoma. The leaves had started changing about a week ago, and that area typically has some beautiful trees. So...we took off after Sunday School and drove over to Siloam Springs, AR, ate lunch, and looked at all the fall colors.

On our way home, we stopped at Natural Falls State Park. I wasn't able to get any good pictures of the waterfall; my camera has a limited apeture and it was in the middle of the day which was not a good time for trying to get that "foggy" waterfall look. Anyway, it was nice just to get out of the house, spend some time together--UNINTERRUPTED--and not hearing someone say: "You're old!"

Friday Photos

'Under

Fall Bridge

7 comments:

Neil said...

My wife got a "not dead yet" button when we saw Spamalot. My teenaged girls even love the Holy Grail. I used to think it was just a guy thing.

Rick Frueh said...

50 yrs. old? Been there, done that. May God use you as long as He gives you life.

BTW - Beard? Are you emergent? (Just being silly!)

Keith said...

Actually, it's a goatee...but I had mine before Rick Warren ever thought about it!

Benjamin P. Glaser said...

From where is the bottom photo taken?

Keith said...

Benjamin: The bottom photo was taken at the base of the waterfall at Natural Falls State Park.

There are concrete paths leading from the top down into a "canyon" (very big ditch) where the falls dump into a small pond, which in turn feeds a small creek. The bridge spans the creek. There is a seating area around the pond. My wife and I sat there for a while, listening to the water, enjoying the view.

The top photo is a tree that was right behind the bench where we were seated--looking straight up the trunk.

Baxter said...

You know I have NEVER seen the Holy Grail. Go Figure. But it sounds like a nice day, something old people would do. :) When I was younger, I'd go to church with my gramma and grandpa and my uncle (who happened to be 6wks older than I and like a brother). Afterwards we would drive to Lake Huron and look at the piles of ice that would have blown and washed up along the shore of the Bay. The ice was like MOUNTAINS! My gramma and grandpa would sit in the car and my uncle and I would get out and climb the ice mountains. It was a BLAST! :)

Keith said...

Baxter: I last saw "Holy Grail" sevral years ago; has its funny moments (like the one cited), but there are other scenes that make me uncomfortable as a Christian. I don't own it (the video) and I probably would not rent it today.